It is unbelievably cold this winter in New York. My husband and I have been following this amazing Sattvic diet and pranayam routine through our holistic healer, Shweta Parmar. We’ve experienced many changes within and outer during this 45 day period. As we are winding down with her program and reinventing the way we eat I decided to try adding more color, using lesser Tamasic vegetables and creating recipes that were delicious and wholesome for my family. During my shopping trip I accidentally bought a purple color Sweet Potato instead of the regular orange one and didn’t know what to do with it. It was a good excuse to browse through some of my favorite vegan recipe books. I stumbled upon a sweet potato pancake recipe by Vegan Diva in her brunch section. I altered a few things based on what I had at home and came up with my own version. With the addition of some apple cider vinegar to the batter, the color oxidized to a beautiful teal blue when cooked in the skillet. It was a feast for the eyes and our taste buds. I hope you’ll enjoy my altered version. PS: It was a hit with my 3 year old! 🙂
Ingredients: Makes 10-12 pancakes.
1 1/2 cup boiled and mashed purple sweet potato
3 cups Almond Milk
2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cup Whole Wheat flour
3/4 cup All purpose flour
2 tsp Brown sugar
2 tsp Baking power
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/4 tsp Salt
5 tbsp vegan butter of your choice.
- Start by preparing the flavoring. Add the Apple cider vinegar to the Almond milk and stir nicely. Let it sit till you prepare the batter.
- Sift the whole wheat, all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a big mixing bowl.
- Add vegan butter (room temperature) to the flour mixture and fold nicely.
- Add the Almond milk + Apple cider vinegar concoction to the flour and slowly fold in the mashed purple sweet potato also.
- Warm up a skillet. I used a heart shaped one since that makes it more exciting for my toddler 🙂 Be sure to cook the batter on a low to medium flame on each side and allow it to cook thoroughly. You’ll notice the beautiful purple turning to a teal blue.
- Serve with some powdered sugar or your favorite maple syrup.