There are so many magical substitutes to egg, butter and milk that will make the perfect vegan sugar cookies and royal icing. Once I made the icing and cookies at home myself, I question why anyone would ever buy ready made tubes for cookie decorating. It’s so much healthier to make your own fresh icing and cookie batter. These sugar cookies I made with my daughter as our “thing” for celebrating Valentine’s Day are so soft and chewy. I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe and make some fun memories with your friends and family, like I did.
Ingredients for the cookie:
1.5 cups Powdered sugar
1 cup vegan butter. (I used Earth balance)
1/2 cup Almond milk
1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
2.5 cup All purpose flour
2 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of Tartar
Ingredients for Icing:
4 cups of confectionary sugar
3 fl oz Aquafaba (Chickpea can water)
1 tsp Vanilla essence
2-3 food colors of your choice (I use Wilton)
1) In large bowl, beat 1.5 cups powdered sugar, the vegan butter, 1/4 cup almond milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed to combine.
2) Stir in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and cream of tartar until blended. If required knead by hand gently adding remaining almond milk until the dough is medium soft. Roll into a ball and set to refrigerate.
3) Next prepare the icing. I had my little one help mix the color. It’s such a fun science project for a 3 year old! Blend the sugar, vanilla essence and aquafaba in an electric blender and voila!
4) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out the dough and using your favorite cookies cutter shapes cut the cookies. Lay them on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
5) Bake for 5-8 minutes only. The cookies may look uncooked. But take them out and let them cool to harden.
6) Once the cookies have cooled, begin playing with your homemade royal icing 🙂 Enjoy being creative.